More days spent

January 8, 2012

Since Wednesday I have been all on my lonesome since a friend flew back to Edinburgh after visiting for a few days. At first it was nice to have a bit of alone time, to get myself organised and relax. But too much time to myself doesn’t always lead to a whole lot of productive time well spent, and too much time to think isn’t always a good thing. This week I have mostly seeing, eating and doing the following:

This afternoon I watched Sylvia, one of the films which I received for Christmas from Trout.
Sylvia (2003) shows the story of Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes volatile and explosive relationship. Although I would have preferred two anonymous actors, rather than familiar faces, Paltrow does bare a strong resemblance to Plath, and portrays her mental demise through the destruction of the relationship and marriage really well. The film is focused on the time in her life that The Bell Jar was written, and I wish the parallel between the story and her reality was brought more to the viewer’s attention. Having said all of that – the photography and imagery were beautiful, and Craig is quite brilliant as Hughes.

Now, onto the foods! I am completely besotted with Marks and Spencer’s wheatberries and giant couscous salad. The grains taste delicious, plus the salad has whole chunks of butternut squash and roasted peppers and red onion. Wowza.

Tenderstem broccoli! Kind of random, but a friend recently introduced me to this variety of my favourite vegetable, and I haven’t looked back since. Delicious dragged through houmous, these tasty little trees are crunchy and packed with flavour. I love eating raw foods, and this is a great way to pack loads of vitamins into a mouthful.

I stocked up on Nakd bars! They are currently 2 for £4 at Tesco.

I’ve also been a little obsessed with Dorset Cereal’s tasty low fat flakes. I’ve been enjoying bowlfuls topped with chunks of fresh cherries and a dribble of peanut butter, dowsed in soya milk. Delicious! It’s quite nice to have a change from oats, which I have every morning. It won’t replace the gingerbread porridge which I am completely obsessed with, though!

Marinated tofu by Clear Spot is my new weakness – I randomly picked up a packet of this a couple of weeks ago as it was reduced to 99p, and I’m so glad I did! Oh my, smokey goodness. Fried for ten minutes or so and dished up with veggies is pretty much my staple right now. Oh, and edamame beans! Which I’ve been eating like a mad person lately.

Skype: such a brilliant, brilliant invention. Phone calls to Japan for 40 minutes? For free? Yes please! Total life-saver, and my connection to my boyfriend while he’s in Japan, and my bestfriend, who is back in Barcelona.

Other than eating and Skype-ing, I’ve been keeping busy by shopping, reading blogs and being invited round to a friend’s house for a lovely supper. The table was filled to the corners with bowls of beautifully spiced food; the textures and flavours were so exciting and it was so nice to eat food which had been made with such love.

This week I don’t have too many plans; Tuesday is soup-run night and Wednesday I am popping down to the Green Door Store for the last From Plan to Progress show. Other than that I really am going to try to be more productive, to write more, to not sit on the sofa with my laptop and the TV wittering away in the background. I really will try. Enjoy the week!

1. January 8, 2012 9:11 pm

We TOTALLY have the same taste in food. I eat all of the above on my MP most weeks! I stocked up on NAKD bars at Tesco and M&S salads too! xx

2. January 8, 2012 9:36 pm

Lots of nice things :) Many of which I’m also a fan of- bargain nakd bars, that particularly M&S salad + tenderstem broccoli! Sylvia sounds good, I don’t know how it passed me by that there was a film about Sylvia Plath, I can imagine it’s very moving. Must add it to my LoveFilm list..and try the Dorset Cereals flakes too. Have a good week.

3. January 9, 2012 2:29 pm

That M&S salad sounds lush! I love tender stem broc too so good, I’m looking forward to purple sprouting broc coming back into season as well :-)

4. January 9, 2012 7:26 pm

I’ve been stocking up on nakd bars too, except nowhere in my locality has cottoned on that BANANA is the best, and consequently I have to miss out.

5. January 9, 2012 11:09 pm

That movie sounds like something I would like. I really enjoyed reading the bell jar, as weird as that sounds. It’s a depressing story but beautifully written. And I am so jealous of your dorset flakes! Sounds delicious :) They don’t sell that here, only dorset muesli and granola. I hope your alone time is going well now. Too much of it can be a bad thing for me as well. Im looking forward to going back to school soon and having a routine xx

6. January 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Your blog has made me hungry. What about peopel who don’t have access to M&S? How are they suppose to get that salad? It sounds and looks so yummy.

7. January 14, 2012 10:32 pm

OOh I’ll be putting that film on my “to watch” list….I remember wanting to see it when it first came out and never did! I also picked up some of that tofu on sale – yum! :-)

8. February 6, 2012 3:49 am

I am extremely inspired together with your writing skills and also with the layout for your blog. Is this a paid subject or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a great weblog like this one these days..

9. April 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Hey I am so glad I found your website, I really found you by accident, while I was
    looking on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here now
    and would just like to say thanks a lot for a remarkable
    post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb jo.