The cold sea air

November 4, 2012

Oh, I do love having visitors! Especially when they are friends who I haven’t seen for far too long.  On Saturday afternoon I met my beautiful friend Sarah Lloyd for a mini-afternoon of funzies. Although the air had a sharp bite to it, we were more than happy to enjoy the last few days before winter sets in and leaving the house gets harder.

We started off with some warming soup – butternut squash and spinach, with toasted squash seeds and fresh bread.

Then we headed into town to take a peek at Make-Away: a pop up shop in the South Laines which offers the opportunity to design and screen-print your own t-shirt, as well as a browse around prints, jewellery and crafty pieces all made by independent artists and designers.

The pop-up shop is organised by Retail Ready People, and offers 16-25 year olds a free 12 week training course, giving them the chance to develop skills and set-up and run their own shop. We also popped into Fabrica to see their latest exhibition, which is fantastic – if you have the chance to pop down and see it, please do! Afterwards we decided to brave the cold sea air and spend some time with the beach.

After our bones were chilled through we headed to the pub to warm up with mulled cider and dark ale, before coming home to cook dinner. Continuing the American theme to our menu of late, we cooked sliders in three different themed flavours: Indian, Mexican and Moroccan. The Indian flavour was a spiced burger with carrot and coriander salad and an aubergine chutney mayonnaise, the Mexican flavour was a black bean and Daiya burger with salsa and guacamole, and the Moroccan flavour was a falafel burger, houmous, cucumber and coriander salad. I made the bread from scratch, and Trout made all of the burgers, salads and dressings. Delicious! We tucked in whilst watching Take Me Out with a few other friends – perfect Saturday night in!

How was your weekend? What did you get up to?

1. November 4, 2012 4:35 pm

Sounds like you had should a perfect Saturday and all of that food looks SO SO GOOD. I need to come round to your place sometime okay?! :) And you’ve reminded me that I totally need to make squash soup soon now that it’s getting so freezing!!
    For the weekend I went home to see my Mum whilst my Dad is away on business for 3 weeks so I kept her company for a bit :) She took me shopping for Christmas stuff then I cooked us a lentil curry for dinner whilst we watched Take Me Out too! :)

• November 8, 2012 11:55 am

Haha yes you do need to come and visit Brighton! So nice that you could go and keep your Mum company x

2. November 4, 2012 4:52 pm

That all sounds amazing! Love the idea of being able to go and print your own t shirt. There was a make do and mend festival on in Newcastle yesterday but as I’d already been there on Friday I didn’t go, kind of wishing I did now! I love Brighton off season – there’s something about the sea side when its cold I love it :-)

• November 8, 2012 11:57 am

I know – I really should spend more time on the beach, even if it isn’t scorching. I want to go when it’s snowing, photographs always look amazing – and it reminds me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind :)

3. November 4, 2012 5:17 pm

I always love the sound of your weekends. It makes me so incredibly excited to move to Brighton – even the sea in the winter makes my heart melt! x

• November 8, 2012 11:57 am

Are you moving to Brighton?!?! That’s so exciting!! You would love it here x

4. November 5, 2012 8:50 am

Amazing food and beautiful seaside pictures! And you made the bread from scratch – how cool is that?

• November 8, 2012 11:58 am

Haha yes it was a bit of a rush (and my pots and pans cupboard next to the oven was jam-packed with bowls of rising dough…!)

5. November 9, 2012 3:07 am

oooh I’d love to visit Brighton pier on a freezing cold day! Ending up at the pub sounds perfect!

1. My heart is dancin’ to a November tune « paperbagblog