Crafty Christmas Cheer

November 27, 2012

I am SO excited to decorate the flat for Christmas! I can’t wait to find the perfect Christmas playlist on Spotify, drag all of the decorations downstairs and spread a little Christmas cheer across our flat.

We’re off to Calais on Saturday with a friend for a booze cruise, so decorating will have to wait until Sunday. I’ve been searching & searching for homemade, cheapy decorations that I can make myself. I do have a little collection of nice things to decorate the house with, but there’s nothing quite like those extra touches that you make fresh every year, and which can be stored away and used for years to come.

I do dream of the day when we can get a real Christmas tree – but at the moment the thought of dragging a 6ft tree up three flights of (carpeted) stairs, and with a cat who would definitely try to climb it, does not really fill me with Christmas cheer…! So for now we are sticking to our slightly broken tree (which resulted from who-knows-what-happened two NYE’s ago, when Trout left me for India and I drank far too much Sailor Jerry…) and a handful of beautiful decorations that I managed to pick up from a charity shop last year.

Bundles of cinnamon sticks hanging from the tree: source
(I also really love the popcorn tinsel!)

I love the idea of making our Christmas decorations out of food – using natural materials that scent the flat whilst filling it with cheer! I’m thinking slices of dried orange, cranberries, walnuts and cracked cinnamon sticks. Vanilla candles, Christmas spiced candles, mulled cider.

What plans do you have for decorating your house? Do you know of any good crafty tutorials I can make?

1. November 27, 2012 2:26 pm

I’m looking forward to decorating too, and although we have some nice baubles my favourites are still the ones I made using old Christmas cards about 3 years ago – just the patterned cards cut out in a circle shape and stuck back to back with some ribbon for hanging them :-)

• November 29, 2012 10:05 am

That sounds like such a nice idea! I might collect our this year and do the same!

2. Sue permalink
    November 27, 2012 4:01 pm

I saw this and thought of you………………
    x

• November 29, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks so much!! I love the idea of collecting Christmassy things in jars – so sweet!

3. November 27, 2012 6:51 pm

I love Christmas decorating. I like the idea of using food. I have no tips but i can’t wait to see what you do!

• November 29, 2012 10:06 am

Once it’s all decorated I’ll take some photographs and post them up on the blog!

4. November 27, 2012 10:27 pm

I have some homemade crochet stars. I love the smell of cinnamon at christmas though!

5. Melissa permalink
    November 29, 2012 4:15 am

Just found your blog…I just painted (stenciled) snowflakes on my windows, turned out so much better than I thought it would. I love it! I’ll be posting pics soon :) willyousignmyyearbook.blogspot.com

6. December 3, 2012 12:58 am

Inspired by the lovely natural xmas tree post, will definitely be getting a real one this year, cinnamon sticks, orange peel and some pine cones. Tis the season to be smelly in a good way! yey! super excited :-)