Pomegranate’s in my teeth

January 22, 2013

sweetness overwhelms–
like the pleasant pop of a pomegranate seed.
sweet sharp burst
overtaken by a flood of tangy red
overcomes the mouth and drips from the corner of the lips.

– Allison Rose, “pomegranate

This was a meal that I put together quickly before heading off to DanceFit – it was really simple (apart from the part where I had to de-seed the pomegranate, which took me 20 minutes…but now I have a bowl of pomegranate seeds in my fridge, so I suppose it was worth it) and tasted great. I love the hit of lemon that you get from the rice (which is lurking at the bottom of the bowl!), and all of the different textures and flavours. The rice would make a great accompaniment to moroccan food – I’d never heard of Camargue rice before, and it has a great nutty flavour. I love the sweetness in the pomegranates and squash.

I adapted this recipe.

1. January 22, 2013 1:16 pm

That looks delicious – did you just swap the chicken and feta for squash?

I recently bought Ottolenghi’s cookbook Plenty which has a clever-sounding pomegranate de-seeeding technique in it – apparently you should cut it in half, put the cut side on your palm and bash the back with a spoon. I haven’t road tested it yet though!

• January 23, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I just replaced the real chicken with Redwood faux chicken, and added squash and removed the feta.

2. January 22, 2013 2:33 pm

I love pomegranate in savoury dishes. I think the best method for de-seeding (better than Ottolenghi’s mentioned already) is the underwater technique (you might already be using it..). Basically you break open the pomegranate in a bowl of water and prise out the seeds with your fingers. The seeds sink and the pith floats. Easy peasy and no mess!

• January 23, 2013 9:32 am

I actually looked this up after I had spent all that time de-seeing haha! I was worried that it would affect the flavour of the seeds, though?

3. January 22, 2013 4:22 pm

I need to try a pomegranate.

4. January 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Hello YUM! I love pomegranate but it is a bit of a pain to de-seed and I always just end up going for blueberries as they tend to work in savoury dishes quite well and are much easier!

• January 23, 2013 9:33 am

Ooh I’ve never had blueberries with savoury! I love the colour of pomegranate seeds in a salad, so pretty <3

5. January 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Mmm… This looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe. x

6. January 23, 2013 2:56 am

looks yummy!! Im a new follower!
    xx
    blicious

7. January 23, 2013 4:23 pm

I love adding sweetness to savoury dishes! De-seeding pomegranate are such a pain, I remember doing it once in uni, and the red splatters across the wall looked quite worrying. Now I try and do it in a bowl of water.

• January 24, 2013 9:25 am

I *think* I managed to contain the awkward splatters haha! I’m going to try this water trick next time.

1. Morning to Dusk « paperbagblog