Sipping once, sipping twice

February 10, 2013

Oh gosh, the weather is so horrible today. In Brighton it’s rain rain rain. Apparently the rain started at midday yesterday and won’t stop for 28hrs. Yuck! Last week I cooked up a big batch of soup – and this weather is definitely right for staying tucked up in the kitchen, with the warmth of a big pot bubbling away.

I followed this recipe from Bleubird, and it tasted great! I think I overdid the lentils a little bit – I would add some more liquid next time I make it, but the flavour was really yummy. I added a squeeze of lemon juice, too. I had it for lunch, but I think it would work great as an evening meal – with thick slices of freshly made bread, and a sharp, acidic salad on the side.

Today I think will be a completely lazy day – I’m still in bed, and although I have had a shower I’m back in an oversized t-shirt, tucked up in bed with Trout and Rasputin, and can’t really see this changing. This is what Sundays are made for. Yesterday was a really long and lovely day, which began with very little sleep, involved a road-trip, good food, art, the sea, a great dane, football, long conversations, sweet friends and a burlesque dancer. I’ll put together a blogpost on that another time, though.

How is your weekend going?

1. February 10, 2013 2:02 pm

The rain just hasn’t stopped has it. Yuck! It’s definitely a day for staying cozy indoors.
    I’ve been working on an essay, until I got bored and decided to watch some of the film, Black Swan whilst doing some crocheting! Break for lunch and now it’s time to get back to work me thinks…
    I also cooked a big batch of warmth in a bowl yesterday- looks very similar in fact- “the Hearty Scotch Broth” from the Vegan Table- it’s made with red lentils, green split peas and barley. I made some American-style spelt “biscuits” to go along with it too. Perfect.

• February 11, 2013 11:59 am

I loved Black Swan! Such a dark, beautiful film. Good luck with your essay!

2. makedospend permalink
    February 10, 2013 3:01 pm

It’s raining here in leicester too, a dismal day all round so we too have made soup and are about to bake a nice sourdough loaf to go with it, Happy Sunday :-)

3. February 10, 2013 3:47 pm

ooh yummy looking soup! i made a lentil stew last week and it really hit the spot – tomatoes, stock, onions, peppers, lentils and BREAD!!!!!

4. February 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Ooh that soup looks AMAZING! x

5. February 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Ew, rain. I have not missed that part about home.

• February 11, 2013 12:00 pm

I don’t mind if I’m tucked up indoors, but I do always feel sad for people who are outside.

6. February 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Looks delicious! I’ve been looking for a new soup recipe, and I happen to have lots of lentils in that need using up. Hmmmm…..

7. February 11, 2013 10:13 am

This looks so hearty and comforting, yum!

8. February 11, 2013 2:02 pm

I quite like lentils all mushy! That looks yum :-)

1. Lost in a February song | paperbagblog