Up comes the moon when the city’s asleep

February 25, 2013

I’ve been a bit quiet on the blog lately – apologies! I suppose I’ve been a little busy, and didn’t have the camera last week so never really feel like posting if I can’t include a few of my own photographs. But enough excuses… oh gosh, I had such a lovely weekend! Catching up with family, shopping, houmous, red wine, a dark cellar, fro-yo, museums, sculpture and a guy tap-dancing along to his discman. Swoon.

I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning (more of a struggle than is possible to explain… I had pretty much been awake since 4am) and hopped on a train to London to meet my sister for a day of shopping and a long-overdue catch up. As soon as I left Bond Street station I picked up a coffee and walked down to Topshop where my sister was waiting for me – with more coffee! Hurrah!

You can never have too much coffee, right? I got straight on with picking out a new pair of jeans, courtesy of some vouchers my motherbear gave me for Christmas, and we headed back down Oxford Street to check out Selfridges. I treated myself to a couple of amazing pieces from Cos, which I’m so in love with. Everything is so beautiful in that shop, if I could replace my entire wardrobe with Cos I totally would.

After all of that exhausting shopping there was only one place I wanted to go for lunch – Houmous Bros! I can’t believe I’ve never been before! Baring in mind that my favourite food is houmous, crazy. The food was really great – fresh, tasty, fun. Perfect.

Of course, a trip to London wouldn’t be complete without visiting Ms Cupcake! It took me so long to decide which four flavours to buy! And I couldn’t resist a giant chocolate chip cookie. It was fun being back in Brixton – I haven’t been for so long, and it was lovely to walk around all of the different stalls and cafes.

For the rest of the afternoon we visited the Wellcome Collection to catch their exhibition, Death (one of my favourite artists was exhibiting a piece as part of the exhibition, which I didn’t realise, and got far too excited when I spotted it!), and the Museum of Film which I would totally recommend, too. On our way to the station we passed Tutti-Frutti and had to pop in to try their soya yogurt!

I had a pot of soya latte fro-yo which tasted so good! They had so many toppings, which would be great if you’re not vegan. They did have crumbled oreo cookies but I couldn’t be sure on whether they were the vegan ones or not. We ended the evening by visiting one of my favourite places in London – Gordon’s wine bar – joined by her fiancee, an old school friend and her partner. Gordon’s is the oldest wine bar in London, and offers the most beautiful glasses of wine and port in a dark, cobbled cellar. Once you finally find a seat (expect to wait a while) you can feel the tubes vibrating beneath you. It’s such a great place to stop for a drink – so romantic and filled with history. It was so good to catch up with my sister. I don’t pop up to London often enough, and with days like this I remember that I really should go more often.

Here are a few photographs taken on my phone from the weekend:

outfit for the day//jodie carey at the wellcome collection//
drinks at Gordon’s//croissants in bed, Sunday morning.

Sunday was spent relaxing, lounging around the house and watching football. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Sundays are made for doing nothing much at all! In the evening I put together a little American-themed dinner of burgers, onion rings, fries and coleslaw. Yum! Trout was inspired by this recipe which was featured on Sunday Brunch – chilli & bacon popcorn! Super spicy but surprisingly tasty!

What do you like to do in London? How was your weekend?

1. February 25, 2013 10:08 am

now that’s what i call a weekend :-) Hummus Bros?!!! Yes please!!

2. February 25, 2013 11:00 am

I so need fro-yo and coffee right now! x

3. February 25, 2013 12:13 pm

That looks like such a great weekend! Glad you’ve just mentioned Cos I will have to check them out again!

• February 26, 2013 9:11 am

I love Cos – I wish you could browse on their website more easily, but it just makes it more exciting when you visit a store!

4. February 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Wowza, looks like someone’s been having fun!! Haha even I’m surprised you’ve never been to Hummus Bros!! Oh fro-yo..how I miss thee. Tutti frutti is definitely the place to go <3 Oh and I love Cos, so much that I did a project of designs for next year for them actually!..I just wish they had more stores :(

Oh and Sundays are totally pajama day in my world :P

• February 26, 2013 9:12 am

Oh wow – I’d love to see your designs! Are there no stores near you? I was so happy when they opened a branch in Brighton a year or so ago x

5. February 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Sounds like a great weekend. I never got round to going to the death exhibition at the Wellcome- my Mum went and reported back that it was interesting. It’s very near my London place :) Tutti Frutti and Hummus bros. are 2 places on my very long list of places to try. I’m a N.London girl so frequent spots are Inspiral and Manna or central spots like Covent Garden, National Portrait Gallery. Sometimes I venture westwards to the V&A, usually combined with a visit to WholeFoods :)

• February 26, 2013 9:13 am

Ooh I love Manna! It’s such a great restaurant. And the Whole Foods in Kensington is like a dream!

6. February 25, 2013 4:21 pm

That sounds like a great weekend. I love all the photos, and the good looks great. My weekend was just a nice long relaxing one spent in sweat pants the entire time.

7. February 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Looks like an amazing weekend. That Tutti Frutti fro yo looks lovely.

8. February 25, 2013 8:19 pm

London is my hometown so more often than not, I’m always trying to find new corners! I love the look of your feast at the end of this post – my mouth is watering just looking at it, & the idea of chilli & bacon popcorn makes me believe that I *need* it.

9. February 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Sounds like a great day in London! That food looks amazing, all of it!!

10. February 25, 2013 9:36 pm

I haven’t been to Houmous Bros even though they’re not far from where I work!! i’ll have to go!! :)
    sounds like you had a great weekend!! :)

11. February 26, 2013 2:27 am

What a fun weekend this must have been! I love following along with all your little food adventures. Mmmm. :) That wine bar sounds amazing. Red wine is always my drink of choice but most of my friends are beer-drinkers. I need to find more friends to wine-and-dine with, especially at a place as awesome as that.

Also – chili and bacon popcorn? Uh oh. Just wait until my boyfriend hears about that delicacy.

• February 26, 2013 9:16 am

I love both – red wine and beer. Not together, though!! Gordon’s does have a food buffet (which I think is quite new – last time I went they just had cheese and oysters) and that looked pretty good! The cheese boards looked great, too!

12. February 26, 2013 10:50 am

This looks like you had a pretty amazing time – how good is that cupcake!? Love them.

Thanks for the tutti frutti info – look amazing, I’ll check it out when i’m in London next week.

1. Lost in a February song | paperbagblog