More than just these shaky hands and hollow sounds

April 13, 2013

This morning the weather started off with such perfect intentions. I woke up with sunshine pouring through the skylight window – it just put the biggest smile on my face. That and the fact that I slept until 9.30am (!!!) and woke up to the sweetest words being spoken to me by my true love. Over coffee and toast and the breakfast news Rasputin stretched out in a sliver of sunshine which divided the rug into warm and cold sections – he rolled over and offered his furry, brown belly up for the taking, and no I am not the kind of person who can resist something like that. In fact he’s been pretty darn adorable all day.

Sure enough the rain started coming – gradually. Spitting as I walked over to a friend’s house to feed her cats in her absence. Raining as we walked to a flat viewing. Heavy rain as I sat in the lounge, listening to Dan Andriano in the Emergency Room, reading Waitrose Kitchen and thinking about writing. Oh, and helping myself to my 2nd (3rd) helping of the Snap Bars that I had whipped up after lunch.

We watched Nigel Slater’s television programme in the morning, and he said the truest words, which echoed how I felt this afternoon. I was grateful for the rain. I often feel like this. It’s like the world telling you that it’s ok for you to stay at home, in your biggest jumper, baking and listening to music. It’s ok to not do the things that you had planned, it’s ok to feel a little melancholic. It’s ok.

If I hadn’t mentioned it enough already, I would like to talk a little more about Ms Cupcake’s soon-to-be-released cookery book. These Snap Bars are another recipe I’ve baked from her book and they were so good. Really simple to put together, and almost instant satisfaction. You do have to wait for them to set – the recipe says around an hour in the fridge, but here’s a tip: after around half an hour they are set but the centre is still slightly warm and a little gooey. Heaven. Definitely not one for the diet – but when it tastes this good it’s so hard to care.

Do you like the rain? Have you listed to Hurricane Season?

1. April 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Absolutely adore this blog. Nigel Slater’s programme is wonderful and so touching. This blog sums up today perfectly.

2. April 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Those snap bars look really good! Our weather has been acting like that lately and I’m tired of it!

3. April 13, 2013 11:59 pm

I love this post sweetie :-) You m’lady are a wonderful writer and I wish I could pick one of those snack bars right outta the screen!

4. CHarlotte metcalfe permalink
    April 14, 2013 8:45 am

Dreamy writing!

Nigel Slater is perfect viewing at any time of day or night, the ultimate pick-me-up..

5. April 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Such a brilliant post lady! In the truest sense of the word sometimes the rain is heaven sent right?! As bad as it sounds I almost want that to happen this weekend, a time out, time to recharge, time for it to be ok to do nothing…..

P.s those snap bars look beyond amazing! xx

• April 18, 2013 7:20 am

I hope you can get the time out that you need at the weekend. Personally I really need some sunshine and the chance to walk around Brighton in a nice jacket and maybe – SHOCK! – sandals!?

• April 18, 2013 7:20 am