Time to myself

April 25, 2013

Oh, I have been a bad blogger lately, I’m sorry. I know that yes, it’s my blog and if life gets in the way that’s just how it goes – but I hate blogging so infrequently! Gone are the days when I had something new for you every other day – or even everyday! I suppose that’s just what happens when I spend all day on social media, writing blogs for my clients and generally coming up with creative ideas on their behalf – I have very little energy left for myself! I’m hoping that I can get back into some kind of routine soon. Thank you to everyone that still reads and comments – it really does mean a lot. Weekends are a great time for me to take more photographs, draft up a few ideas and get on top of emails. So here’s what I did last Sunday.

I had the entire day to myself. The whole day! I didn’t quite know what to do with myself.

I started off the day with one of my favourite breakfasts. Diced, fresh tomato mixed with smoked salt, plopped on top of toast with a drizzle of oil. Perfect. I watched some of Sunday Brunch (but it’s not quite the same when I don’t have a Trout keeping me company) and then got ready and headed out into the sunshine. Rasputin was already hanging out in his little section of sunshine!

I wandered around town, picked up The Observer and headed to Infinity to buy my favourite lunch; their sausage, caramelised onion, rocket and mayo sandwich, and a packet of Popchips. I walked past the Pavilion and decided to see what was happening with the protests. I wanted to take some photographs, but was a little apprehensive about taking my camera out and getting told off, so I stood and watched for a while. There were helicopters circling above, riot vans, horses, police, tourists, protestors. The two groups were kept very separate and I think, for the most part, the whole day was fairly peaceful. The protestors outnumbered the March for England group 100:1, and I’m so proud of Brighton for standing up to people like this. You can read a breakdown of the day here.

It took me a while to get down to the seafront – all of the roads had been blocked off at the ends with huge steel barricades, but eventually I walked down to the beach, past a row of riot vans, and pitched up on the pebbles. In the distance I could hear chants and the odd shout and scuffle, but for the most part I looked out on the sea and couldn’t quite believe that this is where I live.

I think it’s partly since I started my new job, but something has shifted in the last few weeks. I finally feel like Brighton really is my home. I don’t know why it’s only just clicked. I suppose it’s because I’m in a job that I really enjoy, in the centre of Brighton (as opposed to a job that I didn’t enjoy) and I feel more connected with this community. More connected with the guy that runs the fruit & veg market on North Road, that says hello when I walk in. More connected with local businesses and events. I can see the sea from my desk. I don’t rush home the minute that my contracted hours end, desperate to do something else. I know that I wouldn’t be in the place that I am now if I hadn’t had the time and space to concentrate on myself and my blog for those two years, and for that I’ll always be grateful for the routine, for the time and for the support.

1. April 25, 2013 11:11 am

That sandwich sounds (& looks) rather amazing. I’m glad you’re settling into your new job just fine. It must be a huge weight off of your shoulders! Nice to hear that it’s made you feel more connected with the wonderful city that is Brighton too.

2. Ida permalink
    April 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Hello! Your blog is wonderful! These photos really make me miss Brighton, I graduated last summer and it will always hold a special place in my heart. I definitely had that feeling of realising how lucky it is to live by the sea (especially when the sun was out and the wind died down!). It’s so lovely to have a day all to yourself :) x

3. April 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Don’t feel like blogging is a chore. Just write whatever you want and people will read it. I just like looking at the picture of the beach. It gets me excited for summer (winter took forever this year)

• April 27, 2013 11:00 am

Thankyou Alex. The beach is amazing in Brighton – especially when you go straight from work, or meet friends for a bbq x

4. April 25, 2013 5:36 pm

I am really glad that your new job is working out so well for you. Don’t feel like blogging is a chore. Just blog when you want to. I always enjoy your posts.

5. April 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Oh my, I could just up and move to Brighton right now. James and I are still seriously considering it, perhaps next year depending on how things go! That pic on the beach looks so wonderful :-)

6. April 25, 2013 7:58 pm

what a beautiful view to have with your lunch!

7. April 26, 2013 3:18 am

wow what a delicious food :)

8. April 28, 2013 6:37 pm

What a nice day off!

I love that even when Trout isn’t home, you go out and explore the city instead of staying indoors all day. I think it’s hard for some people to do things alone like go to the movies or take themselves out on a lunch date, but I think it’s good for the soul :)

I can’t believe you have a view of the ocean from your desk – what a luxury! I’m so happy that you’re enjoying your new job. Isn’t it amazing how enjoying your work makes a difference on your whole life?

• April 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Aww thanks! I think it’s important to make some time for yourself, but I know that sometimes it’s hard to make the effort if it’s just you x