Weekend in Brighton and London

June 24, 2013

Gee Whizz this weekend sped by! I finally made that trip to the Big Smoke on Sunday, and it was a busy but super fun day. I was up bright and early to attend a Bloggers Brunch at the Wellcome Collection in the morning. The Wellcome Collection is my favourite museum in London, so I was really excited to be a part of this event and help come up with a few ideas for future collaborations with them. We had breakfast and a guided tour of the latest exhibition (which closes on the 30th, so if you are thinking of going – GO! sharpish). It was lovely to meet the other bloggers, writers and artists and talk about the work. It’s been a while since I’ve been in that kind of environment – really talking about the work, our connection to it and the artist’s development process.

Afterwards I enjoyed a spot of shopping – I finally got to visit the newly opened &otherstories, and one of my favourites – Monki – before meeting a friend for lunch at Hummus Bros.

After lunch I headed up to Camden. Now, I hate Camden but I love vegan cookies so the trip was totally worth it. I had been wanting to visit Cookies & Scream for months but never actually got round to it – it’s amazing! Everything’s vegan, and they serve cheesecake, cookies, doughnuts, brownies… What more could you ask for!? I got a chocolate chip cookie, which they warmed up in the microwave and oh MY.Orgasmic.

After I had an inappropriate moment with my cookie I walked up to Kentish Town and popped into Alma Street Fair to visit a friend that was selling her artwork. It was so much fun! Similar to Kemp Town Carnival, there was live music, food stalls, artists, bric a brac – such a great atmosphere!

On the walk back to the station I passed these crazy flats. I can’t decide whether I like them or not, but they’re certainly different! I also passed a pub that I hadn’t been to for probably more than ten years. I’m not sure what it was called back then – maybe the same name – but it sure did bring back some memories! Helping Trout get his equipment from Burgess Hill to Kentish Town – these were the pre-van days! – drinking beer at 4pm (OK so not much has changed here…) and watching some awesome bands before packing up and rushing for the last train.

It was great catching up with friends that I don’t get to see very often, especially when it involves fun days like this. It was also lovely to catch up with London. I don’t get to go as often as I would like – though, saying that, I’m off to the London Vegan Beer Fest on the 13th July, so not too far away! Speaking of which, have you bought your tickets yet?

What are your favourite things to do and places to go in London?

1. June 24, 2013 1:37 pm

I love checking out the local deli’s, WholeFoods (obviously), shopping in the Boutiques and eating in the quirky restaurants.

2. June 24, 2013 7:28 pm

I wish I could go to London so I could answer your question.

3. June 24, 2013 11:29 pm

I’VE NEVER BEEN TO HUMMUS BROS! The very thought is making me almost hyperventilate because I have to have to go. Also now my mouth is watering for those awesome-looking vegan cookies, and other goodies galore.

For me, London is home so all the things I love to do most probably sound quite boring. But I genuinely love just wandering the streets, taking random turns, using distant skyscrapers as a way point. At the moment I’m visiting the South Bank a lot in the evening which is just alive with (almost) summer glory and city brilliance.

• June 28, 2013 9:23 am

I’ve only been to Hummus Bros a couple of times, but it’s so much fun! I’m the same – when I first moved to London I would just go off by myself and explore, walk down random streets and try and get my bearings. Ooh I haven’t been to South Bank for so long, I love it so much!

4. June 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Oh I love London, I wish it was easier to get to for me! The last few times I’ve been I’ve tended to visit the same places so next time I’d like to go a bit more off the beaten track!

• June 28, 2013 9:24 am

Same – I either spend my time in the East end (Brick Lane etc.) or Central/Brixton. It works for me though, but I do need to get back into exploring!

5. June 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Sounds like you had a great weekend, I love the Wellcome Collection – looking forward to hearing about future collaborations! x

6. June 26, 2013 5:12 pm

I’m another Wellcome collection fan. It’s really near me in London too so I tend to check out the latest exhibitions.
    Glad you liked Cookies + Scream :) I’ve had quite a few cookies from there but the brownies are heavenly!

• June 28, 2013 9:25 am

I definitely need to go back and try EVERYTHING! I was by myself when I went, and the bar was full, but I would love to sit with a friend and enjoy something sweet and a coffee!

1. You could have stayed on ‘til June | paperbagblog