Haters gonna hate

June 28, 2013

To all the haters who don’t believe I cook – here is the proof! {I don’t really get any haters… more people laughing with me at the little amount of time I actually spend in the kitchen compared to how many delicious meals Trout whips up…}

Trout was away from Thursday to Sunday last week – he went to Le Mans to watch the 24hr race – so on Monday I skipped DanceFit and decided to make something a bit different for dinner. I put together these flautas, featured on Peas and Crayons, and they were so good! Really quite simple to put together, and fun to eat. Trout made a bowl of guacamole on the side, we had a salad and I made some home-made tortilla chips. Delish!

I’d never heard of flautas before, but I’ll definitely be making them again! They would be super fun for a casual dinner party with friends, or even as part of a buffet. You could pretty much fill them with whatever you want, too! I switched the black beans for pinto beans, and had butternut squash instead of sweet potato. I shredded vegan chicken pieces into the mix, too. To make the tortilla wraps the right size I cut them out of regular wraps using a bowl as a guide. You should totally try them this weekend – if I can make them, so can you!

Have you heard of or made flautas before? Do you think you’ll give them a whirl?

1. June 28, 2013 9:21 am

Holy moly they look amazing! These are going on my ‘to make’ list x

2. peasandcrayons permalink
    June 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Ahhhhh! Not only can you cook but you’re a freaking rockstar at it! They look PERFECT!!! You saved me one right? <3 ya girly! Thanks for the super sweet shoutout!

3. June 28, 2013 2:57 pm

WOW they look good!!! Would totally scoff them all if I wasn’t GF! You certainly can cook but hey, if I had a boyfriend who could cook as well as Trout does I would totally let him do it for me even though I can a good cook :P

• June 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Well that’s my thinking!! You can get GF wraps, can’t you? Or chappati?xx

4. June 28, 2013 6:49 pm

Yum!! Looks like you DO know your way around the kitchen, m’lady.
    (the title of this post cracked me up, by the way. hate on, haters!)

Flautas are pretty popular around here, but I’ve never had one that was homemade. I’m always intimidated to actually cook anything at home, but this seems like something I might be able to pull off. Looks like you did a fabulous job! And seriously, yum.

• June 30, 2013 8:14 pm

They are SUPER simple to put together! And really fun to share. Thanks lady!

5. June 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Those look so good!

6. June 29, 2013 11:48 am

I’m giving this a go next week, found the recipe last week. So excited! How do you make your guacamole?

• June 30, 2013 8:15 pm

We use a recipe by Thomasina Miers, from her Mexican Food Made Simple book. She is a genius!

7. June 29, 2013 5:40 pm

I’ve never heard of them but they look fab!

8. June 30, 2013 10:35 am

I’m a huge fan of anything Mexi-style. Guacamole, black beans, plantains, spicy rice, fresh coriander, grilled corn, salsa, chipotle….yum yum!
    I do get pretty confused with all the names for Mexi wraps though, I’ve heard of flautas, taquitos, fajitas, burritos, enchiladas and more and am not too sure on the differences between them all?

• June 30, 2013 8:16 pm

I’m pretty sure they are all identical, just tipped in different directions/layered differently haha! We have fajitas every other week, pretty much a staple in this house.

9. June 30, 2013 12:25 pm