Beach Life

July 21, 2013

Living in Brighton has never felt so sweet. Working a few seconds away from the beach, living a few minutes away from the shore – it makes everything seem ok. Peaceful, calm, natural. So beautiful.

Earlier in the month a friend came to visit from Bristol, so we spent the afternoon on the beach, soaking up the sunshine. It’s been like this ever since the summer finally arrived – any excuse to lay on those pebbles. On my lunch break, Friday evening straight from work, Sunday afternoon with ice-cream, BBQs, cups of white wine, suncream, dipping my toes into the ocean. Every day I fall more in love with this city, and can’t imagine living anywhere else. I’m so close to London, so close to the airport, so close to the sea – I feel like I have everything here. I will be so sad when one day I will eventually have to leave this city – I know that it will inevitably happen – but my heart will always, always stay here.

Today was the first time I have ever been on Brighton beach wearing a bikini. Ever! It felt so strange at first, and quite unnatural, but the weather was amazing and everyone else was soaking up the sunshine in the same outfit so I went with it. I didn’t quite gather the courage to have a dip in the sea, but maybe next time.

How have you been making the most of the sunshine? Have you been to Brighton beach?

1. July 21, 2013 9:00 pm

what a great post. I would love to live by the sea, so I envy your perfect location. there is no better place to escape than to the beach, if you ask me, and all the better if it’s just a short walk away! at first I was thinking how strange it would be to have pebbles on the beach as opposed to sand, but pebbles don’t get stuck under your fingernails or between your toes or stay at the bottom of your purse for months, so. I changed my mind. you really *do* have it made :)

(also, Trout is rocking those sunglasses)

• July 26, 2013 10:16 am

I love sandy beaches, but for lunchtime and quick visits it’s definitely better to have pebbles! Not as comfy, but you don’t get sand everywhere!

Trout says thanks!

2. July 21, 2013 9:00 pm

What a beautiful sentiment :)

3. July 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Beach life looks pretty good from here! Brighton looks amazing!

4. July 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Yay for British beaches! You’re so lucky to live on the coast and Brighton does sound pretty perfect to me (although I’ve STILL not visited) I’ve been in Wales this weekend and we had a vegan bbq and swim in the sea on Fri night. It actually wasn’t that cold at all and it was beautiful under the setting sun.

• July 24, 2013 10:48 am

You should definitely visit – I’m sure you would love it here! Vegan BBQs are perfection x

5. July 22, 2013 1:47 am

Still haven’t visited any of the British beaches, but hope to do that by the end of this summer! It will be somewhere here in Scotland, so Brighton is sadly not an option – it looks beautiful though!

• July 24, 2013 10:50 am

I’ve heard that Dorset is lovely, but I still haven’t visited! (though that’s still on the south coast!

6. July 22, 2013 1:51 am

Never been to Brighton unfortunately. And I wish I lived near a beach. I guess a river and a community pool will have to do.

7. July 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Feel the same. Brighton in the sun is one of the best places to be! :)