Anatolia Cuisine

July 27, 2013

Trout and I have gotten into this random routine of beginning every Friday evening by going straight to the beach/pub for a beer (or two…) and then finding somewhere to grab dinner. It’s a pretty fun routine, and we have either been catching up with restaurants that we love but haven’t been to for a while, or we hunt down somewhere new.

Last Friday we stumbled across Anatolia Cuisine on St. James Street and couldn’t resist the smokey smells, assuring mention of hummus on the menu, and the casual atmosphere we could see through the slightly steamed windows. As we had been on the beach for a couple of hours, and were wearing shorts and a t-shirt, we really didn’t want to go anywhere formal – just somewhere relaxed and easy going. This place was perfect.

For starter we ordered hummus with turkish bread, and Trout had something vegetable-based with salad. I just can’t remember what it was, but I know it was super delicious. I am so in love with proper hummus – the kind you can really only find in restaurants like this. I (almost) licked the plate clean. For our main course I had baked stuffed aubergine and Trout had falafel, which both came with rice and salad, and some more turkish bread to share. Both dishes were incredible. The aubergine was smokey and delicious, the falafel were perfectly spiced and I loved that spoonful of rice and salad dressed with sharp lemon.

Oh gosh, I was stuffed afterwards and stumbled home with a full and happy belly! I’m sure if you eat meat it would be amazing here, too – the restaurant has a huge open charcoal grill and everything looked really good that came away from it. It’s a really sweet, affordable place – I definitely recommend a visit if you’re in Brighton!

Have you eaten at Anatolia Cuisine before? Do you ever eat at Turkish restaurants?

1. July 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Do you realize how much hummus I’ve been buying ever since I started reading your blog? Hehe. No regrets!

This place sounds heavenly. You two sure know how to pick a good meal. Mmmm.

• July 30, 2013 5:23 pm

I’m not even sorry! Everyone should love hummus even half as much as I do!

2. July 27, 2013 11:07 pm

That sounds like a lovely Friday routine. I adore all Middle-Eastern cuisine, although I’ve never had specifically Anatolian before, so I’m sure I’d love that place.

• July 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Neither have I, but I think I’ll be trying to track it down wherever I go!

3. July 28, 2013 2:13 am

Everything looks so good. Especially the hummus.

4. July 28, 2013 1:07 pm

I love fresh Turkish hummus, but the seriously best thing I had during my trip to Istanbul this spring was the eggplant mouse. I ordered it every day for a starter and always found me eating way too much of it so that I wasn’t hungry for the main course anymore.

5. July 28, 2013 7:13 pm

What a lovely routine to have. The food looks awesome!

6. July 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Oh I know where I’m going next time I’m in Brighton! We had started a little routine on a Friday of going over to Newcastle for drinks, while this weather has been so good it’s been silly not to enjoy it!

• July 31, 2013 9:35 am

Totally! I’m a bit more of a hermit in winter, so got to make the most of getting out and about while it’s warm in the evenings!

7. July 30, 2013 8:37 pm

I’m a hummus fiend, that first photo made my heart flutter!

8. August 12, 2013 3:54 pm

This placa has a website now, http://www.anatoliacuisinebrighton.com