Wednesday Wishes – Happy Home

August 7, 2013

WW

Lately I’ve been on a cleaning frenzy at home. You know when you’re well overdue a deep clean? Yeah, that. It’s been around 18 months since I really cleaned the flat from top to bottom – and even then I had 5 days off work to focus on it! I’m taking it room-by-room, and so far I’ve thoroughly scrubbed and freshened up both bathrooms and the kitchen, and we have been sorting out all of our drawers and wardrobe. So far we’ve come up with four (four!) bags of clothing and household items to take to the charity shop. I just can’t believe how much stuff you can have at home and not even realise or use.

Next on my to-do list is our overflowing bookcase, and underneath the dining room table. I’m very much guilty of hiding things under there that I can’t be bothered to deal with. It’s so nice having drawers that open smoothly, everything in a neat place, and the bathroom gleamingly white to welcome you into. Is that super sad?

Anyway, all of this cleaning and re-arranging has left me inspired to freshen up the flat. I’ve always leant towards homeware in my previous Wednesday Wishes, but I’ve gone all out now!

I am absolutely in love with this table runner! (1) The flowers against a dark background – utterly beautiful. I’m not sure that the quality will be that great, it is only £6.99 after all, but it’s very pretty nonetheless. This lamp (2) is so unusual! It says ‘Whales of Iceland’ on the front, and I love the ice-cold colour of the wood, with the bulb placed on top. A tea-towel (3) with a photograph of New York printed on it? Yes please! If we had the space, I would totally get this iPad stand! (4) Trout tends to read almost all of his recipes from his phone or iPad, and this one is so nice. Finally, an informative print (5) with cats on. What more could you want!?

In other news around this house, Rasputin has lost 0.7kgs!! I’m such a proud mama. That’s about 11% of his body weight! Last year when he went to the vets for his annual jabs the vet was not too pleased with his weight, and categorised him as OBESE (oh, the shame!). So since then we switched his food from indoor cat food to diet cat food and fed him a lot less, and voilà! One skinny minny kitty cat. The vet was really impressed with how much we have managed to ‘make’ him lose – and even though he is still bootylicious (his words, not mine. OK maybe mine – but the vet did say he had a big bum) he doesn’t need to lose any more weight. He has a bit of an apron, but I love him none the less.

How is your week going? Do any of my wishes catch your eye?

1. August 7, 2013 9:16 am

You are right, that table runner is so cute. Love the pretty florals.

2. August 7, 2013 9:17 am

Hahaha, I need to deep clean my flat so badly too. Been kicking it down the road for quite a while, but now you made me feel guilty ;) Hope I can get some stuff done this weekend. It is so overdue.

3. August 7, 2013 10:42 am

Way to go Rasputin! Love that NYC tea towel especially.
    And I’m a tidying addict :) It just makes everything feel better when things are in their right place and you’ve cleared all the unnecessary junk out.

• August 10, 2013 7:40 pm

I’m already feeling calmer! But now I am starting to look at every single tiny part of my flat and see things that need cleaning/fixing/replacing etc.

4. August 7, 2013 12:14 pm

Aw Rasputin – bless him! Give him a congratulations cuddle from me :) Love that tea towel – now to live in a place where random housemates don’t destroy beautiful tea towels!

• August 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks darling! Oh gosh, I do NOT miss horrible housemates that ruin everything. I once lived with a guy who managed to use my entire bottle of ketchup. One bottle in one day!? How is that even possible.

• August 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Hahaha I would actually be curious to have a genuine explanation for that. I just can’t imagine how that is possible unless he was making a very lazy tomato/ketchup soup! And even then – why?

• August 12, 2013 11:03 am

And he even had the cheek to put the EMPTY bottle back in the fridge!

5. August 7, 2013 12:19 pm

I love that iPad stand, such a good idea!

• August 10, 2013 7:38 pm

It’s so nice! I love how it blends in with the rest of the kitchen, too.

6. August 7, 2013 7:48 pm

Oh goodness could my flat do with a deep clean! I’m actually going to give it a good clean tomorrow and I’ve just finished the ironing! Love the iPad stand I could so with one of those!

7. August 7, 2013 9:41 pm

i love to have things clean and tidy, we should deep clean our flat too!
    I am also in the process of thinking of what I don’t need and try to sell it on eBay/give it to friend/take it to the charity shop (I think I have already taken 10 bags in the past few months, incredible!!).
    Well done to Rasputin, he’s such a cutie!!!!

• August 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks lovely! I’m such a proud mama.

And my charity-shop donation bags have grown to seven now…