WIAW – USA Special!

August 14, 2013

Happy What I Ate Wednesday, folks! How is your week going?

Mine’s going ok, quickly as per usual! I had a great workout on Monday at DanceFit, including a new routine which was fun. I ache today, though! The class coupled with a weekend of cleaning and moving things around has left my joints quite sore and unhappy.

Here are my meals from Sunday. I spent the day finishing off cleaning and organising the lounge – you can find a few photographs here –  which is pretty much how I spent the entire of my Saturday doing, too. How sad is that! I started at two and went to bed at midnight – although I did have a few pit-stops to chat to my sister on the phone, watch a few episodes of Friends, catch up on some blog reading and watch He’s Just Not That Into You in the background. Finally we’re here though – I love how much space and light there is in the room now. The grand total of charity shop bags has grown to seven – that’s mad!

Anyway – onto the food! I woke up at around 8am on Sunday morning and looked out of my sky light to find clouds and a chill in the air. I decided it was time to be re-united with my true love brekka – gingerbread porridge. It’s so good! I had it with a mug of coffee, it was the perfect start to the day.

Cleaning, tidying, taking bags of rubbish down to the bins, dropping bags off to the charity shops, hoovering, scrubbing – then it was time for some lunch. I stuffed a pitta bread with home-made couscous, which had diced pepper and cucumber in, and some coleslaw, with a few tortilla chips and some basil olives on the side.

After I had finished tidying up I went to take some bags to the charity shop, popped into Waitrose to pick up a few bits for dinner, and then wandered over to Small Batch for a soy cappuccino in the sunshine. I read a copy of Waitrose Kitchen, one of my favourite foodie magazines, and tried to ignore the grumbling students sat next to me. They were super obnoxious – possibly even more than the seagulls – and kind of ruined my peaceful coffee, but never mind.

For dinner I made something special for Trout, with an American-theme. He was away all weekend on my soon-to-be-Brother-in-Law’s stag do, so I wanted to welcome him home with something tasty. I made BBQ pulled ‘pork’ and red cabbage coleslaw, and stuffed them into rolls with a side of sweet potato fries. Not a very appetising photograph, but they were darn tasty!

For dessert I picked up a slice of raw key lime pie from Infinity, which we shared. This had a strange texture but the flavours were really good.

After dinner we went up to bed, I had a glass of white wine and we shared a few Oreos while watching a couple of episodes of Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It’s our favourite TV programme at the moment, and we pretty much watch two episodes every night. If either of us happen to go out in the evening without the other person, we always threaten that they have to be back in time for an Always Sunny, haha.

So that was my Sunday! Anything catch your eye? I hope everyone’s having a great week!

1. August 14, 2013 8:12 am

What an amazing dinner. Lucky Trout! But if I could choose I would totally go for your cappuccino – it looks massive and delicious, exactly the pick up I would need for all the work that needs to get done today before I can leave the office.

2. August 14, 2013 9:32 am

Oooh that pulled ‘pork’ looks very tasty – what did you make it with and how did you make it? I think Steven would love that!

• August 16, 2013 2:53 pm

He totally would! Never time I make it I’ll blog about it and let you know x

3. August 14, 2013 9:36 am

I love these posts! Your breakfast looks literally the best thing EVER. xo

4. August 14, 2013 11:23 am

Wowie. No

• August 14, 2013 11:25 am

Stupid phone. So as I was saying… Now that’s definitely a lot of cleaning! But it always feels so good to get rid of things and have a home that’s less cluttered. I’m constantly trying to go trough my things to see what I can get rid of because having too much stuff lying around kind of stresses me out. And all of your eats look delicious! Sorry that your coffee time was spoiled, but it sure does look pretty :)

• August 16, 2013 2:54 pm

It was very much long overdue! I think it was definitely stressing me out – it feels like you can’t breath sometimes!

5. August 14, 2013 1:47 pm

You now have me craving oats, yours look gorgeous and creamy!

• August 16, 2013 2:55 pm

They’re so good! Definitely worth the effort, even if I usually can’t be bothered to make them, haha.

6. August 14, 2013 3:19 pm

That pulled pork looks lovely, I’m intrigued as to what it is made of! I need to get back into watching Its Only Sunny in Philadelphia, at the moment our favourite short comedy is Modern Family, I love it!

7. August 14, 2013 6:37 pm

That pulled ‘pork’ looks amazing! This also reminds me that I haven’t had a creamy cappuccino in forever!

• August 16, 2013 2:56 pm

I hadn’t either – they’re such a good way of making me stop rushing around and relax!

1. August, you were quite some month | paperbagblog