Life lately, in the morning

October 24, 2013

Growing up I would never have thought that one day I would become a morning person, but I totally am. I wake up a good couple of hours before I need to be at work, just to spend some time by myself, catching up with emails, blog things, freelance work, and to spend some time with the morning air. And, of course, Rasputin. We love to hang out in the morning. Plus it makes it all the more special when you’re met with a sunrise like this.

Red in the morning, shepherds warning.

I love how chunky Ras’ neck looks in the second photo! Even though he’s lost a fair bit of weight, he’s still really cuddly and bootylicious.

We’ve been eating some good food lately. A sweet friend brought over cupcakes for Trout and I – they were seriously good!

We had bacon sarnies. Sort of. While we were in Vienna we picked up a packet of vegan bacon that we’d not heard of before. It was smoky, and with hilarious lines of white ‘fat’ around the outside. It tasted pretty good. Not like bacon, but it was a change to the norm.

Photographing my favourite restaurant. More will be revealed in a few months time.

Things that are making me happy lately…

• Eating more reubens than are reasonably allowed to be eaten in a weekend. What can I say, I’m addicted.
  • Watching so many episodes of Orange is the New Black. Well, we were – we’ve watched them all now and I’m so sad.
  • Reading a book that a friend leant me called Talking with Serial Killers. It’s totally a page-turner, to the point where I’m running home after work to read it…
  • Using up the ingredients in our fridge – or trying to, at least. We have an awful habit of letting food go off, and instead ordering a takeaway or just making something completely different because it’s what we’re in the mood for. Enough! It’s time to start emptying that veg drawer and using everything up.
  • Roasted chickpeas. I’m addicted – even more so than ever before. I’m talking a bag a day.
  • Chocolate. I don’t know what’s wrong with me lately, but I’m craving it all the time!
  • Erdinger Alcoholfrei. So good!
  • So much writing! Maybe a little too much (is there such a thing?) but I love it. Even if sometimes I take on a little more than I probably should…!

My sister is getting married on Saturday so I will be a little quiet on social media and here on the blog. I’m so excited, if not slightly stressed at the thought of putting together their wedding cake (eek!), but just cannot wait to climb into the giant vintage bus and arrive at the venue, walk down the aisle and (no doubt) cry my eyes out!! Me and my motherbear, and the groom’s motherbear, will be blubbering messes I am sure!

1. Sarah Lloyd permalink
    October 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Cwili I love this blog and the pictures are amazing, have fun at your sisters wedding xx

2. October 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Love these pictures :) I’m such a morning person too! x

3. October 24, 2013 4:38 pm

I’m such a morning person too! Gorgeous photos xo

4. October 24, 2013 7:40 pm

I’m a morning person as well, I love how productive I can be! Hope you enjoy the wedding, it sounds fab!

• October 28, 2013 6:46 pm

I love getting stuff done before work, feels like I’m making the most out of the day x

5. October 24, 2013 8:32 pm

I used to be a morning person but I’ve got into bad habits recently and am going to bed later and getting up later. Need to change that!
    Those bacon sarnies! Eeek! The white stuff creeps me out.
    Hope the cake and the wedding go well :)

• October 29, 2013 7:36 am

I know, the white ‘fat’ was pretty funny – you used to be able to get Morningstar ‘bacon’ in the UK years ago, and that had a similar white bit.

6. October 25, 2013 4:42 am

Beautiful pictures! I used to be a morning person but lately I haven’t been. Probably because it’s freezing in my apartment and I don’t want to get out of bed in the morning.
    OMG Orange is the New Black! I finished it! I need it to come back now. What the heck with that ending.

• October 29, 2013 7:37 am

Aah the cold makes it so hard to get up! And when it was dark outside, that didn’t help.

I miss Orange is the New Black so much! So long to wait, too!

7. October 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Chocolate and reubens… heck yeah! I’ve never had roasted chickpeas, but they sound interesting! I’d like to try some if I ever get the chance! Do you roast them yourself?

Lovely photos, too :) I’ve always been a morning person. I love the feel of how quiet the mornings are when you get up a wee bit early.

• October 29, 2013 7:38 am

I buy roasted chickpeas from Holland&Barrett – a brand called Garbanzo. They’re so good! Really crunchy, whereas I think if you make them yourself they are slightly softer. Keep meaning to try baking them!

8. October 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Your blog is amazing and those pictures are wonderful. I know what you are talking about when you say you never thought you´d be a morning person someday. I´ve been there and I can say that I love it. Maybe from the same reasons that you do. Watching the world while it´s still sleeping. Anyway, enjoy your sister´s wedding and add some pictures later.

1. For all of November in most of October | paperbagblog