White chocolate torte

November 5, 2013

To follow the fantastic tagine that Trout made a few weeks ago, I made a white chocolate torte for dessert. It’s one of my favourite sweet recipes – taken from Steven’s blog, Lustrous Musings – and pretty simple to put together. It’s perfect for when you have guests over too, as it needs to be made in advance so that it can set, so it’s one less thing to worry about on the night.

I used an amazing bar of white chocolate with strawberry pieces that I bought while we were in Berlin – usually I make this recipe with white chocolate buttons, but I’m not sure I’ve seen them for a while, and this chocolate is incredible. When Veganz opens next year in London, I flippin’ hope they stock it.

The torte went down pretty well – Sophia was scraping away at her plate until she was sure she had eaten every last crumb. Even as an 18-month old she clearly has a sweet tooth!

How is everyone’s week going? The weekend went by in a bit of a blur, but was a lot of fun, and mainly involved a lot of food! I went for a drink with Trout’s company on Friday evening, followed by a spontaneous visit to Pizza 7, a fairly new pizza place nearby – it was so good! Usually vegan pizzas are a bit hit and miss as they can be quite dry without the cheese, but thanks to the rich tomato sauce and fantastic base, I can’t recommend this place enough. Their beer menu was great too, and they even served non-alcoholic beer which made me super happy! Saturday I spent most of the day in my jim-jams as I wasn’t feeling too well, but thankfully I was well enough to go to Trout’s brother’s 21st birthday meal in the evening with his family. Hello Mexican food! It was a fun evening. On Sunday an old friend spontaneously decided to pop down to Brighton and visit – it was so lovely. We hadn’t seen each other for more than three years, but it was like it had only been a few weeks. I think that’s the sign of a real friendship. We went for a roast dinner, followed by cake, and it was a pretty perfect day.

How was your weekend? Any plans for this week?

1. November 5, 2013 7:54 pm

That looks amazing! I really fancy making a cheesecake for Christmas dessert. A few years ago I made an amazing vegan chocolate and salted caramel cheesecake type thing, it was lush!

• November 7, 2013 7:52 pm

This could totally work as a Christmas dessert! It’s not very stable on top, but you could decorate around the edge. Please say you have the recipe for a vegan chocolate and salted caramel cheesecake, that sounds amazing!!!

2. November 5, 2013 8:55 pm

Oh yum this looks fantastic! I very rarely eat vegan white chocolate though when I was little white chocolate was my favourite. I’m a convert to the super dark stuff. I’d happily revisit my childhood days with this dessert though, especially since I’m a sucker for a digestive biscuit base :)

• November 7, 2013 7:52 pm

I am definitely a convert to dark chocolate, too! It’s so good dipped in salty peanut butter. And digestive bases are the best!

3. November 6, 2013 4:36 pm

you are so adventurous with your cooking and baking! i tried a chocolate torte for the first time recently and ohmylord. that’s dangerous business.

your weekend sounds lovely. i love when old friends pop back into my life. it’s a good reminder that they aren’t really “old” friends after all.

• November 7, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks lovely – you should definitely try this recipe, it’s so simple even I can master it! Good friends are the best <3

4. November 6, 2013 7:20 pm

That looks amazing and yummy! I am going to make a fancy treat tonight for the Actor’s pre-premier of his fall show. I’ve never had vegan white chocolate. I’ll have to try it sometime.

• November 7, 2013 7:55 pm

Usually white chocolate doesn’t taste that great, but this stuff is so creamy. Yum! I’ll keep an eye out for your sweet treat!