SportsShoes.com and my efforts to get fit

May 4, 2014

Lately I’ve been on a bit of a health and fitness kick. I’ve been going to DanceFit for around 18 months now, and it’s a great way to keep fit. I’ve really noticed a difference thanks to the section of the class where we do sit-ups, plank and various other exercises that tone your stomach and legs, but I wanted to do a bit more than just a one hour class per week. I took up a free 14-day trial at LA Fitness to see how I got on, and I’m actually shocked at how much I enjoyed it! The first trip was horrendous, but I stuck with it and am now a fully paying gym member. I honestly never thought I would ever say that! I do get a brilliant satisfaction in sweating away and working out.

When I first started going to DanceFit I bought a pair of Primark workout leggings, but didn’t bother investing in any other kind of sports clothing as I wasn’t sure how often I would end up going. As it turned out, I loved it, but I never invested in anything new to wear. These are the shoes I was wearing – don’t laugh…

Yep, a beat up pair of old Vans. I do love these shoes, and to be fair they were fine for DanceFit, but not great when it comes to support. Around the time that I took up the 14-day free trial I was gifted these Asics trainers, which was pretty perfect timing! They are fantastic – bouncy, breathable and comfortable. Much better. Plus they have plenty of pink in them ;)

I was also sent this Asics running top, which I LOVE, and a water bottle. Also pink. In the photos above I’m wearing my Primark running leggings, which have lasted me well, and I’m really happy with them.

So, did my new workout gear make a difference to how I felt? I have to say, yes. Which sounds utterly bonkers, but it’s true. I trusted my body more, thanks to shoes that are actually designed for sport, I could workout harder, thanks to breathable clothing, and I felt like I ‘blended-in’ at the gym. It’s all psychological, I suppose – apart from the breathable-clothing part – but who cares when I’m actually enjoying sport and fitness for maybe the first time in my life?!

Wearing trainers that are comfortable and cushioned means that I can throw myself into dancing more, and my feet aren’t sore the next day, and having new workout clothing means that I have no excuses – I’ve got all the right gear, it’s down to me to put it to good use and work out to the best of my ability.

I’ve also been chatting to Claire, who runs Great Expectations Fitness, and is a fellow vegan. She’s been wonderful, giving me loads of advice in terms of what I should be eating before a workout (I’m kind of paranoid about not eating enough/eating too much before going to the gym, and then either feeling light-headed or sick!) and generally being really positive and supportive about my venture into fitness. Definitely get in touch if you live in London and are looking for a personal trainer!

Do you go to the gym? What do you wear?
Does having new workout gear change how you feel?

1. May 4, 2014 12:53 pm

I keep procrastinating on getting fit! I’m meant to be cycling and swimming to strengthen my back and I have all the gear, I’m just lacking the motivation! x

• May 7, 2014 8:25 pm

I think once you get into a kind of routine it’s a bit easier – there are a few days of the week when I can’t go to the gym, so I just do my best to go on the days that I’m free x

2. May 4, 2014 1:03 pm

Oh definitely, new clothes also make me excited to go and try them out :) considering exercise is a ‘feel good thing’, having ‘feel good’ clothes makes it EVEN better!

• May 7, 2014 8:24 pm

Definitely – I really love the clothes I have at the moment, and am already on the lookout for new pieces!

3. May 4, 2014 11:22 pm

I love getting new gym clothes. It’s been a while since I got new clothes, but I did get new shoes over my spring break. I definitely more excited and confident in new gym clothes because all I really have are a few sports bars and then t-shirts, but when I get shirts and shorts specific to working out I feel more special and prepared even though I’ve been working out consistently for seven years.

• May 7, 2014 8:30 pm

Oh gosh, seven years! I hope I’m still into exercise in seven years time. I think, for me, shoes and a good sports bra are my vital pieces of clothing!

4. May 5, 2014 9:10 am

New gym clothes always make me super excited about going to workout. Glad you are enjoying your new fitness routine at the gym.

• May 7, 2014 8:22 pm

As this is my first outfit, I have a feeling the next set will be even more exciting!

5. May 19, 2014 3:06 pm

We totally go to the same gym! I’m a mid-morning gym goer when you’re probably at work so I haven’t spotted you yet!

• May 22, 2014 12:03 pm

No way! I’ll keep my eyes peeled, I’ll be the one sweating in the corner pretending I know what I’m doing…