Waffles and Scones

July 20, 2014

This morning Trout and I had our fingers and toes crossed for a tube of croissants to be hidden somewhere in the fridge. We kind of knew that they had all been devoured, but you can always hope.

I snuck downstairs and searched, but it was fruitless. So instead I picked up one of my favourite cookbooks – Vegan Brunch – and flicked through the pages until I found the perfect pick of recipes: one savoury, one sweet. Trout’s very much a savoury man in the morning, while I love something sweet to start the day with.

Tomato and rosemary scones. I added olives.
Gingerbread waffles. A staple of mine years ago.

I got to work and within 30 minutes we were sitting down to our plates of food. There’s something so satisfying about whipping up a meal from scratch, ad-libbing with whatever is in the house.

A friend has just returned from a holiday in Canada and not only did she bring me back a couple of bags of Daiya, she gave me a pot of maple butter. I’ve never heard of it before, but it’s one of the best things I’ve ever put in my mouth. It’s made entirely of maple syrup, and tastes incredible. I’ve mostly just been eating it straight from the jar, but spread on gingerbread waffles was a taste sensation. I’ve not found anywhere that sells it in the UK, but if you know anywhere that does please let me know!! Have you ever heard of it before?

Trout split his scones and filled them with butter and ‘cheese’. They were pretty good, and could be eaten at any time of the day.

I should point out that we did not eat all of the food above ;)
We’ve got half of both left for another time.

This weekend has been so much fun! Slightly stressful, and my legs are aching from all the rushing around and walking, but packed with so many lovely things. I’ll probably write a bit more about it in a couple of days when I put together this week’s Photos of the Week, but rest assured I took plenty of photos. This morning has mainly involved cleaning and tidying, I’ve got some work to do now, and then I’m hoping to get out of the house and enjoy this hot, humid weather. Perhaps a BBQ in the evening?

I hope everyone’s having a lovely weekend! Did you get hit by the storms? I’m so thankful that yesterday was clear and hot (humid). Thursday evening was incredible; we woke up at 2am to the loudest and brightest storm. I can’t imagine what it’s like for those living outside, it must have been just awful.

What are your plans for today?
Do you ever have weekends that seem to last much longer than others?

1. July 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Today I am on a MISSION to get myself a new iPhone (yup, capitals needed, I feel it is a lot of effort for a Sunday!)
    Do you use a waffle maker? Can you recommend a make? I’m looking to buy one but not sure what is good!

2. July 20, 2014 2:32 pm

That maple butter sounds amazing! The storms you’ve had your way sound very dramatic, I wish we would have one here just to clear the air a bit! I’ve spent this morning recipe testing for the book and editing some photos and down I can just chill for the rest of the day with my feet up which will be lovely, hope you get a nice BBQ in!

3. July 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Maple butter sounds incredible!

4. July 20, 2014 9:33 pm

You can make maple butter! It’s pretty hard work, but SO worth the effort! I first heard about it through Angela at Oh She Glows, where she gives a link to directions: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/29/pure-maple-butter-also-known-as-maple-cream-or-the-best-spread-on-earth/
    Have fun! :)

5. July 21, 2014 7:01 am

I love making a breakfast like that, sometimes we make pancakes in the mornings and that’s always a good start to the day. I even like it when we just make the time to make toast, have a nice cup of tea and just take our time. The weekends are best for this, Sundays especially :)

I think we’ve missed a few storms but one hit us around 3am Sunday morning, I woke, I acknowledged and then I was fast asleep ;) Apart from that, it’s sunny and too hot! Although storms are forecasted for this entire week… We’ll see. It’s already much cooled today :)

• July 22, 2014 8:05 am

I’m never really sure about pancakes – love American pancakes but not the thin kind!

I couldn’t sleep for ages, the thunder and lightning was too scary! I felt like a kid again…

6. July 21, 2014 3:54 pm

I missed the storms! Its been crazy apparently? Sad about that one! Ive also been seeing these cute looking pancakes on instagram lately! You nee to tell me how you make them! Dinner date? =]

• July 22, 2014 8:06 am

You really did miss the storms! Don’t know if we’re forecast for any more?

7. July 23, 2014 10:17 am

Maple butter sounds amaaaazing!! I’d love to try pecan butter too :D