A day when I was accidentally not vegan

December 9, 2014

On Saturday I had quite a busy day. It started in our usual lazy way; toast, coffee (me) and squash (him) in bed, watching Parks & Recreation. I had a shoot at 2pm so just before Trout and I went to grab some lunch together at Infinity before going our separate ways. And that’s where something terrible happened.

I ate halloumi.

Not on purpose (obv) but it came in the panini that I ordered and I ate it thinking it was tofu, before realising it was cheese. I’d never had halloumi before, but was always so intrigued as people seem to go wild over it. Honestly, I don’t see what the fuss is about! So now I have to take it off my ‘never tried before’ list, which was keeping steak, doner kebab, panettone and panna cotta company, and put it on the ‘accidentally ate non-vegan food’ list. Rubbish!

Other things that I’ve been up to lately; eating lots of good food, going to see Augustines, spending the day in London and enjoying some annual leave. I’ll share photos this week. How was your weekend? If you’re vegan, what’s the crappest non-vegan food you’ve accidentally eaten?

1. December 9, 2014 11:18 am

Ugh. That sucks. The most gross thing I’ve eaten (well, bitten into really) was a pork dumpling at Yum Yum Ninja. It was freaking grim!

2. December 9, 2014 11:27 am

Aw that’s annoying, I don’t get the halloumi thing either tho, it tasted pretty rubbery to me! :)

3. Jennifer permalink
    December 9, 2014 1:40 pm

I’m a carnivore and eat most things but even I don’t get halloumi!

4. Tamzin permalink
    December 10, 2014 4:26 pm

I’ve never really got what all the fuss is about either, shame it wasn’t something more tasty you accidently ate!

• December 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Well I guess if it tasted really good I would be disappointed that I couldn’t eat it, so it all worked out in the end!

5. December 18, 2014 1:44 pm

I got told a salad on my works do last week was vegan. It had little chunks of tofu in it but also little chunks of goats cheese :( Don’t know if it would be of interest but I have actually made vegan panacotta once and it was really nice and just how I remembered non-vegan being. I used agar to get it to set. There’s quite a few recipes floating round the internet.

• December 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Thank you! It’s one of those things that I never get around to trying to veganise. Resolution for 2015!

6. December 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Silly sneaky squeaky cheese!! On another note – I am obsessed with Parks and Rec! So good! Happy Christmas! Look forward to reading more of your enjoyable posts in 2015. :) x